What is push notification?Last Updated: July 22, 2018
What are push notification?
One of the most important features mobile app provides for E-commerce business is Push notifications.
Push notification is a message that pops up on a mobile device. App publishers like you can send them at any time; users don't have to be in the app or using their devices to receive them. They can do a lot of things; for example, they can show the latest deals, get a user to take an action, such as downloading a coupon, or let a user know about an event, such as a flash sale.
Push notifications look like SMS text messages and mobile alerts, but they only reach users who have installed your app.
Why are they used?
Push notifications provide convenience and value to app users. For example, users can receive:
- Latest promotions and deals right on their lock screen
- Utility messages like order status updates
- Reminders to checkout their abandoned carts
For app publishers, push notifications are a way to speak directly to a user. They don't get caught in spam filters, or forgotten in an inbox — click-through rates can be twice as high as email. They can also remind users to use an app, whether the app is open or not. They can also be used to drive actions, such as:
- Promoting products or offers to increase sales
- Improving customer experience
- Converting unknown app users to known customers
- Sending transactional receipts right away
- Driving users to other marketing channels, such as social networks
iOS apps require a user to grant permission for an app to send them push notifications, while Android do not. Convincing users to opt-in is important for the success of apps on iOS.